Rosacea is an inflammation of the skin that causes red and blotchy sections on your face… and it’s no fun. The good news is that rosacea care can be fairly simple. Just make some minor lifestyle changes and you can dramatically reduce the frequency and severity of outbreaks.
The symptoms of rosacea include swelling, spider like blood vessels and acne like symptoms. It’s more common in women but usually more severe in men. There is no cure and the cause is also unknown.
Here is a list of some simple things you can do today to help prevent an outbreak:
1. Protect your skin from the sun. Use sunscreen everyday, not just in the summer or when you are outside for extended periods of time.
2. Don’t spend too much time outside when it’s hot, and don’t exert yourself in the heat for a long period of time. Even exercising and getting over heated can be a trigger.
3. Try various stress reducing activities such as yoga and relaxation techniques. Stress is another thing that tends to trigger outbreaks in some people. If you can reduce your stress level, consistently, you can help reduce the number of outbreaks. Reducing your stress level will also help the rest of your body stay healthy.
4. Don’t eat a lot of hot or spicy foods and avoid hot beverages. This has been shown to trigger an outbreak. You should also avoid too much alcohol consumption as that too, can trigger an outbreak.
5. Be careful of whatever products: makeup, lotions, etc that you apply to your face. Carefully check the label and make sure whatever products you are using are not alcohol based as that can trigger an outbreak.
Everyone is different and everyone will have different triggers, but by making some of these simple changes you can not only make Rosacea care easier you can avoid outbreaks, and lessen the severity when they do occur.