Posted on 01 November 2013.
Having shiny, healthy hair is something we all strive for. Forced air heat, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, blow dryers, and chemicals in our shampoos and hair dyes all leave our hair vulnerable to damage and dryness, and it seems like everyone has a cure for it. From ads in magazines to television spots, everyone is trying to sell us the latest cure for brittle strands, but some of the best remedies for dried out locks can be found in our own kitchens. Since natural cures are devoid of harsh chemicals they tend to work faster and far more effectively than their commercial counterparts which promise a shiny mane but which still contain ingredients like cetyl alcohol which are essentially drying agents.
Natural, safe, and inexpensive cures for dry, brittle hair that have been used for centuries by women all over the globe can aide you in your search for the perfect head of hair. Since we’ve all fallen victim to one advertising scheme or another and ended up with frazzled hair and nerves, why not try something new and completely natural? If you’re plagued by dry hair wander over to your pantry for the following dry hair cures and get ready to have the hair of your dreams!
1. Warm up a couple of teaspoonfuls of coconut, jojoba, olive or almond oil in a saucepan. Avoid overheating it, the oil should be warm to the touch but not scalding. After the oil of your choice has reached the proper warmth, massage it into your hair avoiding your scalp as much as possible. Too much oil on your scalp could leave your hair weighed down and greasy looking even after washing. Wrap your hair in a towel or plastic shower cap and leave on for approximately 20 minutes, then remove, shower and shampoo. Your hair will be full of elasticity and shine almost immediately. This treatment is one that can be used effectively once a week.
2. A paste made from vegetable oil and honey is also quite popular as a moisturizing hair mask. After applying, leave on for 10-20 minutes while wrapped in a shower cap or plastic wrap, then shampoo as usual.
3. Hair dressers and grandmothers alike all swear by using egg whites to make your hair shiny and healthy. The best way to use egg whites for your hair is to mix the whites from one egg with three tablespoons of water, then apply. Leave on for half an hour then wash as usual.
4. Another favorite of the hair stylist community is none other than mayonnaise! Massage some of this nutrient rich sandwich spread into your hair and wrap in plastic wrap for 10 minutes. Shampoo and rinse. This trick adds instant moisture to parched locks.
5. A pre-rinse of rice milk mix with honey is a popular shine enhancer for hair amongst Asian women who are known for their gorgeous hair. Simply mix a teaspoon of honey in a cup of rice milk and rinse your hair with it in the shower. Leave it in your hair while you attend to your other bathing needs then rinse, shampoo and style as usual. This is an effective, and sweet smelling way to add nutrients to your hair which results in healthier shinier strands.
6. Mashing bananas and avocados into a thick paste and using it as a hair mask is a fantastic way to add moisture to your hair. This multitasking mask can also be used to moisturize your face…and probably tastes nice as well! This hair mask works best when left in for 15 minutes.
7. Aromatherapeutic oils not only are relaxing and delicious to the senses, but they also make fantastic remedies for dried out hair. Some of the most used and recommended aromatherapy oils include lavender, bay, and sandalwood. One particularly effective remedy is to mix six drops of each of these oils with six ounces of vegetable oil, warming it up in a pan, then massaging it into your hair for a few minutes.
8. Odd as it sounds, beer is still a favorite amongst many women for its moisturizing and shine enhancing properties. After washing your hair use a spray bottle to mist your hair with beer, then dry it as usual. After your hair is dry the beer smell will disappear, so no worries about smelling like a frat house!
9. Keeping your hair healthy from the inside out is one of the best ways of ensuring a fabulous coif. Try eating plenty of healthy foods high in good oils and fats such as salmon and avocados. Drinking plenty of water also helps keep every part of your body hydrated, including your hair.
10. Remember to always wash your hair after using any of these home remedies. While they are very effective, they can also leave you rather greasy and smelly. These are definitely not leave-in conditioners! After using any of the above mentioned natural dry hair cures you want to make sure to shampoo well and then style as usual. If you have particularly dried out hair you may choose to use conditioner after shampooing, although it is not necessary since your hair will already have been treated by the remedy of your choice beforehand.
So, if you are pining away for healthy, luminous and moisturized hair, run to your kitchen and see if you have any of these fantastic and effective natural home remedies at hand! You may not be able to undo the damage that your hair has undergone in the past, but with these remedies your hair will look and feel healthier and shinier without the high cost and use of chemicals that commercial preparations offer.